On 22 June 2008 His Excellency The Honourable Anand Satyanand, Governor-General of New Zealand unveiled a Commemorative Plaque to the Union Steam Ship Company of New Zealand at the Holy Trinity Cathedral, Parnell, Auckland. Above the plaque are the bell from the last ship built for the Company UNION ROTOITI and the amoral bearings of the Company which were on display in the Auckland office.
Many of our members were present at the service.
For more than 125 year the Company provided links with Australia, Asia, North America, Pacific Islands and even ventured into services to Europe at one stage.
Formed in Dunedin in 1875 the Company was New Zealand’s biggest private employer with more than 7000 staff. It owned 70 ships, an airline and interests in other ancilllary transport and tourist organisations.