Incorporated by Royal Charter, we are aÂ City of London Livery CompanyÂ with membership open to British and Commonwealth Master Mariners from the Merchant and Royal Navies.
The Honourable Company of Master Mariners was founded by Sir Robert Burton-Chadwick, BtÂ in 1926.
Sir Robert Burton-Chadwick, 1st BaronetÂ (20 June 1869 â€“ 21 May 1951) was a shipping magnate and an EnglishÂ Conservative PartyÂ politician.
Chadwick was born atÂ Oxton,Â Cheshire,Â the son of Joseph Chadwick, being baptised with the name of Robert Chadwick. He was head of the shipping firm of Chadwick and Askew, ofÂ LondonÂ andÂ LiverpoolÂ and was eventually Director of Chadwick, Weir and Company, of London.
Chadwick served with theÂ Duke of Lancaster’s Own YeomanryÂ in theÂ Second Boer WarÂ from 1900 to 1901. DuringÂ World War I, he became an Honorary Captain in the Hospital service of Royal Naval Reserve. He was decorated with theÂ Royal Humane SocietyÂ certificate for saving life.
Chadwick was elected asÂ M.P.Â forÂ Barrow in FurnessÂ in 1918 and in 1922 took the seat ofÂ WallaseyÂ which he held until 1931. He held membership of a number of political organisations associated with the right of the Conservative Party, notably theÂ British FascistsÂ and theÂ Middle Class Union.Â Â He wasÂ Parliamentary Secretary to the Board of TradeÂ between 1924 and 1928.
Having beenÂ knightedÂ in 1920,Â Â he was created aÂ baronet, ofÂ BidstonÂ in theÂ County Palatine of ChesterÂ on 3 July 1935.Â Â He changed his name byÂ deed pollÂ to Robert Burton-Chadwick in 1936.
From 1940 to 1947 he was Counsellor to the British Embassy atÂ Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Chadwick married Catherine Barbara Williams, daughter of Thomas Williams, in 1903. Their eldest son Noel was killed in action serving with theÂ Royal Air Force in 1941. His second son Peter Robert became 2nd Baronet on the death of his father inÂ WestminsterÂ registration district aged 81 in 1951.
Peter Robert Burton- Chadwick served with New Zealand forces in North Africa during the war and moved to New Zealand after the war and was living in Lower Hutt with his second wife and two children. He died in 1983 and is buried at Auckland.