Many former pupils will mourn the loss of the former Director of both the Wellington and Auckland Navigation Schools.
Captain Mac joined Shaw Savill in 1936 where he remined until 1952, the latter years spent on the MANZ vessel “Ottawa Valley”.
He obtained his Extra Master’s Certificate and joined the NZ Marine Department as examiner of Masters and Mates in 1954.
Later he was appointed Director of the Wellington School where he remained until transferring to the Auckland School in 1970.
He retired about 1980 and then obtained his Amatuer Radio Operators Certificate and was in regular contact using morse with many “ham” operators around the world.